Monday, February 13, 2006

My wife is a student!

Now that's a happy face!

Marie got her study material for her degree in Business Psychology last week - I had to capture the moment.

Marie's joy is as if she's already graduated. But the simple act of enrolling has been a long time coming.

For years Marie has wanted to study. When we got married eight years ago she had a suitcase full of all the prospectuses and application forms she'd inquired about. But the time was never right.

Part of the problem was that, while she wanted to study, she didn't know what she wanted to study. And it's very important to know that (especially under a user pays education system!).

Have you ever felt like that? That you know you want to study ... create ... fulfil something, but you just don't know what it is.

This week I'll try to address this issue of knowing what you want, through my own ongoing experiences and some books I've been dipping into lately.

Meanwhile, my own educational aspirations have taken a slightly different turn. After going on a two-day screenwriting workshop, I realised that for a filmmaker or screenwriter, letters after your name counts least. It's what you actually do that counts. So for me, a programme of tightly focused workshops might be better than a degree programme.

But it's all about knowing what you really want. When I first floated the idea to myself of being a full-time student, it was because I wanted to be nothing but a student. I was fatigued from the stresses of being in many different places at once - necessary stresses for a business owner of any kind.

But times change. We change. And we learn.

To be continued!

1 Comments:

At 1:19 am, Blogger   said...

Good luck to Marie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home