Friday, February 10, 2006

Robert Rodriguez: You are a filmmaker

Okay, so this quote more properly belongs to my DIY Film School blog, but it's very relevant to leadership: you are what you say you are.

"So you want to be a filmmaker? First step to being a filmmaker is stop saying you want to be a filmmaker. It took me forever to be able to tell anyone I was a filmmaker and keep a straight face until I was well on my way. But the truth was, I had been a filmmaker ever since the day I had closed my eyes and pictured myself making movies. The rest was inevitable. So you don't want to be a filmmaker, you are a filmmaker. Go make yourself a business card."


That's from the inside front cover of Rebel Without a Crew, by Robert Rodriguez. Heard of him?

He's the guy behind Spy Kids, Sin City, The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl in 3-D, and more.

This book is about how he learnt, step by step, how to make movies with what he had available - cheap video equipment, and a lot of time - and became a big Hollywood director.

If there's one lesson to learn from Rodriguez, it's this: start with what you've got.

Have a great weekend!

Tags: , , .

1 Comments:

At 3:49 am, Blogger ADM said...

Now you're getting it, bro. ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home