Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Looking after your body, epilogue

Last week I had a bit to say about how to look after your body. In case you missed it:

Part One: Intro
Part Two: Exercise
Part Three: Food
Part Four: Why this is important

Since then, I had a really bad weekend in terms of living up to what I'm saying.

I mean really, really bad,

Pizza... fried, battered fish... ice cream. That kind of bad.

Of course, there are mitigating factors. The pizza was Marie's idea (sounds familiar: "The apple was Eve's idea!"), and the fried, battered fish was part of a spread for a family get-together. So I take extra extra seriously my last words from last week:

Does this mean that only trim, slim saints who walk every day qualify for the top jobs. Heavens no.
("Heavens no"? What was I thinking?)

But then I said this, and I still agree with it, even though it incriminates me:
But having a healthy, balanced personal life sure gives you an advantage in getting the job done, and helping everyone involved reach their potential.

With that in mind, an excellent book arrived last week, The No Diet Diet: Do Something Different. Better than Atkins, say the reviews. Didn't think much of Atkins in the first place, but let's have a look at this then...

A quick glance shows this to be very different from other books I have on the subject. Food is seldom mentioned here; instead, this is all about habits.

Chapter one begins with a Spanish proverb: "Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables." Then it says: "Turning off the TV, making someone laugh and singing in the bath can all help you lose weight!"

I think I'm going to enjoy this book. And I think I'll learn things that will apply to other areas of life as well. This sounds like it will be an eminently suitable Leadership Issues book. I'll keep you posted!

Tags: , , , , .

3 Comments:

At 10:23 pm, Blogger ADM said...

Just say no, bro. What's so tough? Buy some carrots, and that'll stem your appetite...really.

If you need to chew, those little carrots in the bag are ideal.

 
At 10:32 am, Blogger Simon said...

If you can go for carrots when chocolate is calling your name - more power to you.

But there are a huge number of normal people around the world who struggle with ingrained habits.

Saying "just say no, bro" is missing the point and trivialising a problem facing many people.

Sure, saying 'no' each time temptation knocks is the key - but it's the 'how' that is important. And buddy, carrots ain't how it happens.

 
At 4:05 pm, Blogger ADM said...

I believe that carrots is one way it certainly can happen, and I can even back up that assertion.

For one, it's a filler. You want to fill yourself up on something to stem a hungry urge...then you need something with ruffage and substance. Have a bag of carrots, and see how you feel.

For another, it'll make you (and anyone else) a heck of a lot more 'regular,' if you follow my drift, and that's got to be helpful for your digestive tract, and toxin purge. This, and those same veggies about which you speak. Doubly so.

What's more, I don't mean to trivialize it. I am not telling you that you're an incurable (fill in a sundry temptation) eater, nor incorrigible when it comes to your culinary habits. Not at all.

Indeed a lifetime of habits must be countered with a life's worth of willpower. While the carrot idea sounds harebrained, it sure will do the things I enumerate above.

Have two bags...you can never have enough of carrots...and I don't mean it perjoratively. It will really do the things I describe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home