Monday, April 10, 2006

NZ businesses see China as threat - survey

New Zealand's source for business, stock market & currency news on Stuff.co.nz: NZ businesses see China as threat - survey

I wonder what really makes the difference between opportunity and threat.

That's the thing with surveys, they're a scientific measure of opinion, but that opinion is always necessarily subjective. Are these Kiwi businesses who see China as a threat acting on real data, or on our national inferiority complex?

I guess it's kind of pointless asking that kind of question. But interesting nonetheless.

3 Comments:

At 11:12 am, Blogger   said...

The perception may be due to a government that has done little to allay the fears of the business community. Indeed, it is a government that has acted less in exporters’ interests than in importers’ ones, reinforcing that fear; and this may be contrasted to the behaviour of the Australians.

 
At 9:53 am, Blogger Simon said...

Thanks for that, Jack. I knew you'd be able to provide a bit more perspective than I could on the whole thing.

Still, with my limited perspective I agree with you, and would go on to say it's difficult to have truly free trade with a country that is not democratically free.

 
At 1:18 am, Blogger   said...

This is very true, Simon. It’s why I am highly suspect of the New Zealand Government’s motives and how (in my opinion) it has not levelled with New Zealanders about this FTA’s implications. Our benefits are few; Red China’s benefits are many.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home