Thursday, June 09, 2005

I get interviewed again

I got interviewed today, and it wasn't about email marketing or blogs, it was just about me!

The NZ Centre for SME Research are interviewing several young entrepreneurs, and I just managed to be young (under 30 - but not for long!).

It's quite an experience when someone asks how you got into business and how you get by from day to day, what your weaknesses are, etc.

Anyway, it's one of those occasions where you think of all the really clever things to say just afterwards. At least I've got an audience here. (Hello?)

In brief (I'm going out soon, just as well):

  • When I started in business, one of the things I really wanted to do was one day help others who wanted to start. That kind of attitude helps you learn faster, I believe.
  • Don't undercapitalise. We started with nothing, which would've been fine if there was a steady flow of work, but there were peaks and troughs, and we suffered during the troughs.
  • Your personality is your most unique asset - for instance, I come across as easy-going and nice to deal with. So use it! Make the most.
Okay, gotta go now. Watching some fencing tonight for a project I'm working on... may be some leadership lessons in there (be surprised if not!).

See you soon.

1 Comments:

At 9:36 am, Blogger ADM said...

Simon, I thought I'd chime in on several of these things:


** When I started in business, one of the things I really wanted to do was one day help others who wanted to start. That kind of attitude helps you learn faster, I believe.

AM -- I take the same sort of attitude to the making of films and producing. For example, my actor/lawyer friend Lisa called me today, and told me she just got offered a lucrative acting gig in Puna, India. She asked me what are some of the several things she should ask the prospective producer, and I told her a list of about twenty things she should do. It felt good. Why? Well, for one, I knew what the hell I was talking about. Two, I like Lisa, and if I can help relieve someone's stress, that also feels good. And three, there's a chance I may need someone's help in the future for something I don't know well. Why the heck should somoene help me if I'm not willing to give them my all when asked?


** Don't undercapitalise. We started with nothing, which would've been fine if there was a steady flow of work, but there were peaks and troughs, and we suffered during the troughs.

AM -- Oh, but what learning is done when you're going through the tough times. I love the tough times, have thrived in 'em. I've oftentimes intentionally made things more difficult, b/c I'd wanted to see if I could 'handle it.' (I'm not advocating that people should do this en masse. I'm merely stating that it's something which works and helps. It toughens you up -- like tempering a piece of iron, in my opinion).

** Your personality is your most unique asset - for instance, I come across as easy-going and nice to deal with. So use it! Make the most.

AM -- Sure do, bro! I can vouch for that. It's like something that happened the other day on our other project. If it weren't for the (there's that word again!) tempering influence of a certain other female's presence, who knows, would we even be in the position we find ourselves now!? This sort of thing, of course.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home