Thursday, December 02, 2004

Movie Review: Rob Roy

All About Courage

Okay, so I'm like 10 years behind the times, but I watched Rob Roy for the first time last night. Great romantic storyline (of course, it was written by Sir Walter Scott) with all the twists and turns you wouldn't expect (unless you've read the novel).

The key theme was honour and courage. Near the beginning Rob Roy discusses honour with his sons. "Honour is a gift a man gives himself. No man can give it you, and none can take it away." Fantastic rhetoric. Those words sum up the movie.

That's why the following action - being treated unfairly, facing hard decisions - is laced with angst, because we're thinking "is he going to be true to his word? Even in this situation?"

And there's something in this for all of us.

I sincerely doubt I will ever be in a swordfighting duel ... or escaping vicious redcoats on horseback ... or dangling from a bridge, trying to strangle someone with the ropes that bind me ... but I will face situations where I have to decide "will I be true to my word?"

And that's what honour and courage is all about. Honour sets the standard; courage keeps you to it.

2 Comments:

At 11:41 pm, Blogger ADM said...

I actually long for the days when screenwriting will return to the One Big Line.

In those days -- during the old studio system -- screenwriters were generally hired for long contracts -- and so, were almost EXPECTED to come out with the one big line.

You could wait for it like the inexorable tide. It's usually the one long portion in the screenplay -- the fat dialogue portion when a character is in the middle of long exhuastive bit of widsom.

I miss those sorts of film and moment -- I only wish we could go back there...

But, I make the humble admission -- yours truly hasn't seen Rob Roy as well -- and this from the man who should be watching as many Tyrone Power films as possible.

Shame on me!

 
At 12:07 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Hmm... I'm glad the long monologues are mostly gone from movies. Just watched Alexander the Great (1956) the other night and actually went to sleep. (Don't worry, I'll watch it again and a review is forthcoming!)

Those long monologues are often very unrealistic, and IMHO show the writer getting lazy - telling the story straight out, instead of telling it through story.

However, if it is a matter of just one big line - just one - then yep, I'm totally with you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home