Monday, November 29, 2004

Movie Review: I, Robot

Starsky & Hutch meets Bicentennial Man. Honestly.

I'm not saying I didn't like it; Will Smith, Bridget Moynahan and Alan Tudyk did a great job, but I, Robot explores cliches that have been explored fully before.

The cop who has a troubled past, a secret. He has an attitude problem. His boss has to keep him on a tight leash. Finally he goes too far, gets fired and pursues the case on his own. Gets proved right, saves the day. How many cop shows?

The cyber-society where robots are slowly turning from automatons into sentient beings. There's searching, misunderstanding while humans feel threatened and robots discover how illogical humans are. Perhaps this aspect is the Matrix meets Data from Star Trek.

Leadership lessons? Not many. If any.

Perhaps one is from the deceased main character, Dr. Alfred Lanning. He was eccentric, yet had foresight enough to devise an elaborate warning scheme. In amongst the stereotypes, the character of Dr. Lanning is probably my favourite - and probably the one example of a leader in I, Robot.


2 Comments:

At 11:48 pm, Blogger ADM said...

I'm going to look at the leadership potentialities of the actual production -- Will Smith got the executive production credit for this film -- and his desire to want to do a big picture with resonance which he could attach his name to is also an example of leadership.

Think about it..

Being able to brook the tempestuous waters of, say, the entire studio system is surely something to admire and be proud of. Will Smith had to marshall plenty of contacts to bear on this entire show -- and you have to be pleased with the entire product -- naturally, he "guarantees" the investment by acting in it as well -- taking the lead role is a very ballsy move -- I'll have you know...

There's some leadership there, isn't it? I mean, if I write more, I'm going to get flamed for blogging in the "Comments" section...?

-- Count von Groovy

 
At 12:10 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Please don't scrimp on comments! This is good. See, I didn't know the backstory, I just saw the movie (and watched the making of, which didn't have the backstory either). And that's what most of the viewing public did too.

So I still hold that it wasn't that great a movie. Having said that, I have found myself thinking about the themes and some particular scenes since watching it - which for me, means it can't have been that bad. However I think the acting just let it down. Maybe Will was stretched too thin?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home