Thursday, August 03, 2006

Noise gives you a brain workout


I wondered why I write my best writing in cafes and pubs. Turns out I'm giving my brain a workout, according to this interview with unorthodox USC professor Bart Kosko.

The more you can concentrate with background noise, the more it strengthens the brain. Isaac Asimov used to set his typewriter up in stores and other loud places to work. His claim was that you get really good at writing when you’re in a crowd. You want to be energized by that background noise, rather than distracted.

Exactly what happens to me. Most times. Other times, I can't even concentrate with just my music and the TV on, and I have to turn one off.

Just kidding. But the cafe thing is true.

3 Comments:

At 1:59 pm, Blogger M@ said...

I'm exactly like this -- I do most of my writing in restaurants and cafes. Preferably busy ones. (Preferably busy ones without a TV on!)

At home, I can't have the TV or radio running, but a DVD that I know really well and can follow without watching too closely sometimes works.

Very gratifying to know Asimov recommended this approach.

 
At 6:05 pm, Blogger Sandra Vahtel said...

Yup, it's true! Hi Simon!

 
At 6:34 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Hi Sandra! Lovely to hear from you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home