Wednesday, August 24, 2005

The Strong Shall Inherit the Earth

The Strong Shall Inherit the Earth

Essentially this guy is saying:

"Find out what you don’t like doing and stop doing it."

Sounds good to me. And yet is it realistic?

I guess as a sufferer of chronic illness, the constraints put on me from outside force me to grapple with this issue daily. I'd like to do everything, at least try everything, but I reach my limits long before "most people" (if such a group exists).

So, I pare. And it's not something you want to do in one sitting, otherwise the feelings and circumstances of that moment will have full sway in what you decide.

Instead, you pare over time. You look at what's not working for you, and pare it down.

And you don't take anything for granted. For instance, my strengths have me in the marketing business. But I'm not a "salesman type", the type you'd meet on Wall Street.

So, I pare down the kind of projects and clients I want to work on. Sure, sometimes beggars can't be choosers, but in the best possible world, I'm not a beggar.

That paring process lasts a lifetime. And in the process, I'll likely have some experiences that I don't enjoy. That happens. I'm learning to take them as what they are - learning experiences.

So, I'm not sure if I'm speaking the same language as Marcus Buckingham, but I'll probably find out when I download the free resources on his site.

PS: Just tried the free resources - they're only free if you've bought the book. But, there is a good video presentation, with a marvellous quote:

"Clarity is the antidote to anxiety. That's the preoccupation of the great leader. If you're nothing else as a leader, be clear."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home