Wednesday, April 27, 2005

"Blog this", he says! So here I am...

Got a fax the other day from Adam - yes, a fax. Remember those? It's an excerpt from a book called "The Last Guardians". Adam had underlined a paragraph and scribbled excitedly "blog this!"

So I will:

"I haven't seen a management theory that six months later is not refuted, discredited, or highly criticized," the well-read Thivierge says. "Virtually every theory the RCMP is using today to manage itself is based on business, the making of widgets and turning a profit. There are no management theories that I am aware of that deal with organizations in the public-security field, organizations that hold a public trust. You can't run the police like a business; they're not there to make a profit. In the end, the force just keeps building on past mistakes."


Sounds good, huh? And it brings up a good question - where are the leadership models for organisations that aren't profit-making businesses? I know Peter Drucker has written a book on managing the non-profit organisation, but that's about all I know of.

3 Comments:

At 2:54 pm, Blogger ADM said...

Thanks for that one bro.

It's a damn shame that the RCMP is being dismantled and compromised. It's one of the legendary Canadian institutions.

That's I suppose one of the reasons it makes such a huge comeback in Ice Cops and The New Auroras.

I'd to reestablish them with some prestige.

 
At 8:06 pm, Blogger Sandra Vahtel said...

If Adam told you to jump off a bridge, would you do that too?

;-) Sorry, had to get that one in there...

 
At 9:42 pm, Blogger Simon said...

Hang on Sandra, I have to check with Adam on that one ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home