Monday, May 08, 2006

Nice is not enough

Finally - a little inspiration from Denmark! Thanks SY for keeping the blog rolling.

One of my favourite movies of all time is "Fight Club" with Brad Pitt, and people are often surprised when I tell them this. Actually, it surprises me too - for many years, I wouldn't even consider watching a movie with a name like that - I thought it would be far too violent and shocking for me, and not in the mood of my other choices.

But, finally, I watched it a couple of years ago, and loved it. I watched it again last week, and loved it even more - second time around, it struck me as being surprisingly funny, in the same black way as "Pulp Fiction", and it also makes some provocative comments about the way our consumerist world leaves us feeling emptier than ever.

My favourite scene, the one I find myself always thinking about is one where Brad Pitt comes across a guy who's washing dishes for a living. Brad Pitt puts a gun to the guy's head, and while the guy is on his knees, terrified for his life, asks him what he wanted to do when he was a young man. In between his panic-stricken breaths, the guy responds that he had wanted to be a vet. Brad Pitt takes the man's driving license, and tells him that he has "six weeks". If after that time, he isn't on the road to becoming a vet, Brad Pitt warns, he will kill him.

After the man has run off, Brad Pitt's cohort, played by Ed Norton, tells Brad Pitt how shocked he is by his actions. Brad Pitt turns to him and says: "Think how sweet tomorrow morning will be for that young man."

Truly a tough scene, but one that stays in my mind as a reminder that sometimes it's not enough to be nice. There are times when we need to be tough, to take difficult actions, or to say difficult things to people in our lives, or to be direct, and for many of us, this is very uncomfortable.

2 Comments:

At 12:35 AM, Blogger Simon said...

Definitely worth the wait, Jesper. Welcome back!

"Fight Club" just moved higher up my list of movies to watch!

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger Jesper said...

Looking forward to see you in the fight club..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home